The Northern Elevator Company constructed the elevator immediately
next to UGG’s in 1922. The National Grain logo was added in
the 1940s, after it acquired Northern Elevator. Cargill briefly
owned the elevator before it was finally acquired by Paterson in
In the final years of operation the grain cleaner was removed from the ceiling of the elevators driveway to make room for large trucks to unload. The elevator has two annexes - a balloon annex built in the 1940s and a permanent vertical cribbed annex built in the 50s. The office was built in the 1930s, with a storage room occupying half the space. There was also a coal storage shed on the site. The chemical shed and office have been fully restored and now serves as the site’s gift shop.
The exterior of the National Elevator will be completed once funding for the $275,000 project is raised.